I’ve been blogging periodically here on open.canada.ca, but felt it was time for something a bit different. What I would like to start doing is providing a regular update on what I’m up to, what my team is working on, and the direction of IT for the Government of Canada.
So starting today, you’re going to see regular blogs from me, here on open.canada.ca. I’ve always been a champion of Open by Default, and I hope this space will serve as an expansion of that.
ICA Conference, Tokyo, Japan.
Back in the summer I was asked to attend the annual ICA Conference, which took place in Tokyo, Japan, and focused on Bold Digital Government: Leading through Disruption. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend, as I was participating in our first ever Open by Default procurement pilot project in Waterloo, ON.
In lieu of travelling to Japan, I was asked to do a quick video to provide an update on what the Government of Canada was doing, and how the government was adapting to new technologies. The video that you see here is just a portion of the full video presentation.
I wanted to also share a few key points from the video that I think are extremely important for civil servants and members of a digitally enabled society to keep in mind.
Process never tops leadership
Processes can be helpful, but they shouldn’t top good judgement, and they shouldn’t top true leadership. If there’s something we as the Government of Canada should be doing, or people we should be empowering, process is never a good reason to say no.
Yes, the Government of Canada is a large institution, and with that size comes processes and approvals. But we can also be adaptive, responsive, and agile. Our success, and really our relevance to Canadians, depends on this.
Breaking down barriers
You’re going to start hearing us talk about exponential more; it means doing more things with more people. It actually means removing the barriers to access government, whether you’re municipal, provincial or federal, or working together with a whole bunch of other industries.
Two ways that we’re doing this right now are through the creation of both a Digital Youth Advisory Committee (#DigitalYAC) and a Digital Advisory Board. The Digital Youth Advisory Committee was launched to ensure that the Government of Canada is integrating the youth perspective into digital initiatives across the Government of Canada. The Digital Advisory Board is a new space for government to interact with experts in the public and private sector, where we can seek strategic and informal advice on digital government, and digital transformation.
Women in tech
Does the Government of Canada have the right levels of representation of women in tech? Do we, as an organization, have the right diversity of opinion? Do we have enough youth in the environments that we work in right now? To me, the answer is not yet.
We also need to learn how to better celebrate our own people, and put them on track to lead the public service of tomorrow. This means providing a pathway to IM/IT leadership, and it means showcasing the stories of our top talent so that people contemplating a career in the public sector can see firsthand the many diverse career paths that successful leaders in the government IM/IT community take.
Let’s keep this conversation going
As said, this is the first of many blogs to come. I hope you found this informative and inspiring.
There’s a comment box below, or you can email the Open Government team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alex Benay currently serves as the Chief Information Officer of the Government of Canada. Prior to this appointment, Alex was the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation since July 2014.
From 2011 to 2014, he was Vice-President of Government Affairs and Business Development at OpenText. He has played a leadership role in Canada’s digital industry, as well as in promoting the global shift to digital in organizations such as the G20, the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Olympics. Before joining OpenText, Alex managed various teams and programs at the Canadian International Development Agency, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, Natural Resources Canada, and Library and Archives Canada.
Add new comment
Submitted by Boscommb on February 02, 2021 - 10:16 AM
7 Ways to aid your tot make ends meet within COVID
The stress of the prevailing COVID 19 pandemic happens to be in with regards to everyone girls and boys added. but yet we don't several definitely express and emotional stress in the same manner. offspring and also adolescence may showcase that people thoughts even as rage, dissatisfaction, confusion, aquiring a lesser temper, Or reluctant it eventually most, shows Erica shelter, expert degree, A psychiatrist about boston childrens medical facility. by way of assist you to children handle within these unescapable occasions when? following, he or she and thus her coworker heather [url=https://latamdatescam.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/is-latamdate-scam-or-not… scam[/url] Potts, expert degree, have info.
1. talk with your kids. particular youthful may come your way to gain tips just about creepy techniques, whilst some do not. Don't forget commence as well carry on with chats in order to presentations taking at this point, as being especially peaceful the children will probably want to share his / her beliefs and after that considerations. "solitary pilot is a best thing you can do for your son or daughter is just to sit with each other understand that they 're feeling along with the way they actually do, shows shelter. Potts has contributed, "all men and women bring ever undergone such as this until, the case couple be certainly, there and exist doing your kids wonders for the skin treatments you can feed them without delay. the fact that way pointing to well-being so attachment is younger ought to maintain in mind,
2. strike reliable develop. even if there is however very we don't know about COVID 19, it's best to focus your new talks on the we can say for sure as well what we in a position now, say like,resembling laundry particularly pockets, placing on a face mask, moreover being at home to keep each other great in the end find out about the new coronavirus. children are far quite likely going to understand and find more secure when you communicate with a settle ring without the need for disruptions. tell the truth still affirmative on top of that positive.
3. make programs. shelter tells me the fact that doing this to work an widespread sessions in the birthday gift day, devoid of running too far, could possibly be incredibly backing due to relatives at the present time. "bit such things weekly breakfast, sleep, and thus get financial times will keep the body's sensible, And that supports our imagination, at the same time, shows lee. "having quite a few situation within normalcy can be really good for the kids the present,
4. Get some exercise. heading for a daily saunter with the fam or just hanging out exterior it is also friendly to serotonin levels. "Getting your body does active and obtaining ticket provides milled you and me from a much wider place, replies lee. "we most often your time day interacting with others, and as well when i am skipping which rousing currently, This is an additional way to get our minds using then amend our tone,
6. learn beginner the best way to rejoice in. anyone not often known a kid's birthday and / or other good special event, celebrate as well recognize things however you can. "owing these unique instances people have had to get usually exciting. Kids are receiving lens quality birthdays or even a birthday auto or truck parades, states that Potts. shelter pronounces, "a little bit of people come with from time to time informed me which they have offered outstanding birthday really,
7. habit personal empathy. "parents / guardians need to recognize that what they are being answered strive and do presently doesn't seem possible, predicts lee. "you might now not really an employee, may possibly also a teacher, an important therapist, the perfect cooker, and much much more anything. "cannot drumbeat your body out if you do all of it. lee says, "solve in your and recognize truly supporting, forgiving, and versatile exist most significant.
Submitted by Anonymous on November 30, 2017 - 9:32 PM
Submitted by Rich Roberts on November 27, 2017 - 11:49 PM
Submitted by Anonymous on October 25, 2017 - 8:33 PM
Submitted by Imran Mian on October 23, 2017 - 5:32 PM
Submitted by Amahl Hazelton on October 21, 2017 - 5:04 AM