Update: The consultation is now closed, but we are always interested in hearing from you. Please share your feedback on Canada's Open Government activities.
The Government of Canada is striving to set a higher bar for openness and transparency, recognizing that Government and its information should be open by default:
- Canada’s next Open Government plan will accelerate and expand open data initiatives and make government data available digitally, so that Canadians can easily access and use it.
- We will also enhance the openness of government, including through a review of the Access to Information Act.
- We will provide Canadians with easier access to their own personal information.
- We will ensure that the Information Commissioner is empowered to order government information to be released.
- We will also ensure that the Act applies appropriately to the Prime Minister’s and Ministers’ Offices, as well as administrative institutions that support Parliament and the courts.
As we develop Canada’s next Open Government plan, we will consult broadly on an expanded approach, and will seek the views of a wide range of individuals and organizations that have a perspective to share. Your advice will be important in shaping future initiatives, and we look forward to an active engagement with you in the coming months.
As a first step on this path, we welcome your thoughts on activities under the existing Action Plan on Open Government (2014-2016). We would like your opinion on the federal mid-term self-assessment of progress, both in terms of what is working well and what remains to be done.
The existing action plan consists of twelve commitments to advance open government. There have been three primary streams of activity: Open Data, Open Information, and Open Dialogue. The Action Plan is being implemented over a two-year period between and .
At this mid-term point in the two-year Action Plan cycle, we would like to hear from Canadians on the progress to date.
There are three ways you can participate in this consultation:
- Comment on the consultation process in the Consultation Plan for Canada’s Action Plan and the methodology section of the What We Heard – Summary Report. You can also use the comment form on this page to provide any other feedback on the plan as a whole.
- Comment on the progress made on all individual commitments by following the links in the summary table below.
- You can also comment by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that your comments may be made public (without personal identifiers) as part of the What We Heard report to be published after the consultation period.
This table provides a summary of the status for each commitment in the Action Plan on Open Government 2014-16. The commitment title links to the detail page for that commitment.