About Informal Requests for Records Previously Released under the Access to Information Act


  • RSS
  • Cite

Government of Canada institutions subject to the Access to Information Act (ATIA) are required to post summaries of processed ATI requests. You can search these summaries, which are available within 30 calendar days after the end of the month. Searches can be made by keywords, topic or field of interest. If you find a summary of interest, you can also request a copy of the previously released ATIA records.

How to Make an Informal Request for Records

Requests for previously released ATIA records are considered informal requests and therefore do not fall directly under the ATIA. To request previously released records, select the applicable summary and complete the request form presented. The information requested in the form is used only by the institution(s) in order to respond to your request. Depending on the format you select (electronic or hard copies), you may be asked to provide your name, mailing address and other information. Institutions will attempt to return the requested records in the format you request but may not be able to accommodate all electronic formats because of size limitations.

Fees and Service Standards

Fees are not charged by institutions for informal requests, and there are no deadlines to which institutions must adhere. In addition, the requester has no statutory right of complaint to the Information Commissioner of Canada. In support of the Government of Canada’s transparency and open government commitments, institutions will work to respond to informal requests in conjunction with their other responsibilities.

Privacy Considerations and Statutory Exemptions and Exclusions

All information included in the records provided to you informally will incorporate all necessary exemptions and exclusions as per the ATIA and the Privacy Act.

Request Additional Government of Canada Records

In addition to informal requests of previously released ATIA records, you may make an access to information request or a request for personal information for records under the control of Government of Canada institutions. Contact the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator of the institution that holds the information you are seeking to make an Access to Information or Privacy (ATIP) request.

Date modified: