Memorandum of Understanding between the Government Secretariat of Modernization of the Argentine Republic and the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat on Cooperation on Open Government
The Government Secretariat of Modernization of the Argentine Republic and the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, hereinafter referred to as the "Participants",
Considering the importance of promoting open government, which improves democratic governance, fosters socio-economic development, enables citizen participation in public policy and encourages transparent and accountable policies that are delivered to citizens;
Building upon their ongoing cooperation and dialogue, with the Governments of Argentina and Canada serving as the incoming and current lead government Chair of the Open Government Partnership (OGP), respectively, as well as broader multilateral and bilateral exchanges, including those in the context of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD);
Respecting the principles of equality and mutual benefit, based on a shared desire to formalize and deepen collaborative efforts and peer learning;
Desiring to deepen and develop their cooperation in the field of open government through ongoing dialogue and bilateral collaboration;
Convinced that such cooperation will help address common challenges faced by the Participants’ national governments in relation to the promotion of open government at the federal level;
Have come to the following understanding:
The objective of this Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is to promote cooperation between the Participants and facilitate the exchange of their experiences and best practices in the area of Open Government in accordance with their respective national law, as well as international law.
2. Areas of cooperation
The Participants will collaborate and exchange views in areas relating to open government, including by:
- sharing best practices, exchanging experiences and conducting joint studies and research;
- organizing in-person or online training courses that are mutually accessible;
- sharing advice and recommendations on frameworks to better design, implement, monitor and evaluate open government initiatives and public policies more broadly, and technical assistance in the implementation of projects on the mentioned areas;
- coordinating and disseminating initiatives aligned with the priorities of inclusion, including feminist approaches to open government, participation, and impact, of the Participants’ national governments as members of the OGP Steering Committee and through their role as co-chairs of the OGP; and
- any other form of cooperation that they may jointly decide upon.
- Unless they jointly decide otherwise in writing, the Participants will pay for the costs of their respective activities.
- The Participants understand that their activities under this MoU are subject to the availability of their respective resources and may invite additional parties to participate at their discretion.
This MoU is not legally binding.
5. Final dispositions
- This MoU will come into effect on the date of the signature by the Participants and will continue to have effect for a period of two (2) years.
- The Participants may renew this MoU. The Participants will decide the terms for the renewal through meetings or written correspondence.
- The Participants may amend this MoU upon their mutual consent in writing. Any amendment will become effective on the day jointly determined by the Participants.
- A Participant may terminate this MoU by giving a three (3) months written notice to the other Participant.
- The Participants understand that the expiration or termination of this MoU will not affect the validity or duration of any ongoing activities carried out under this MoU, unless they jointly decide otherwise in writing.
Signed in duplicate at Buenos Aires on the 1st day of December 2018, in the English, French and Spanish languages, each version being equally valid.
For the Government Secretariat of Modernization of the Argentine Republic
For the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat