The Map of Radiocommunication Areas and the related data set were developed by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) to delineate urban and rural areas of Canada for the purpose of the point-to-point fee model referenced in the Decision on the Licence Fee Framework for Fixed Point-to-Point Systems. The areas are based on the spectrum licensing Tier 5 service areas developed by ISED in 2019. For the point-to-point fee model, the Tier 5 metropolitan and urban areas are combined into one designation called “urban areas”. The Canada-US border is applied, and all areas other than urban and rural, including those outside of Canada, are considered to be remote.
In the point-to-point fee model, different base rates for urban, rural, and remote areas are set per frequency range. The station location in relation to these areas is therefore one of the factors used in determining the base rate.
The data available here for download is published on the Map of Radiocommunication Areas.
- Publisher - Current Organization Name: Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Publisher - Organization Name at Publication: Department of Industry
- Publisher - Organization Section Name: Spectrum and Telecommunications Sector
- Contributor: Aldo Ongaro, James Watson
- Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada