Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties)
The Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties) dataset contains the geographic boundaries as well as basic attributes data of all signed agreements that were negotiated after 1975. These boundaries represent the areas of Canada where Aboriginal land rights and title have not been addressed by treaty or through other legal means. These boundaries represent the final result of a negotiated First Nation’s claimed area. These boundaries are usually not surveyed but help to delineate the geographic extent of the rights of Aboriginal beneficiaries defined within the agreement. The Post-1975 Treaties dataset includes:
1) Overall Treaty Area (OTA) which is the broad area to which the agreement applies, often composed of the sum of the specific geographies defined within the treaty. 2) Treaty Settlement Lands that is wholly Aboriginal-owned and forms part of the “land and cash” settlements that are integral to the treaty. This category belongs to the Department of Natural Resources Canada and can be found on the Open data website as ‘‘Aboriginal Lands’’ classified as ‘‘Land Claim’’. 3) Treaty-Specified Rights Areas which category pertains to areas (lands or waters) where specific rights, activities or responsibilities apply pursuant to the treaty. 4) Other Treaty-related Geography is the catch-all category for any remaining geographies that do not fit within the aforementioned categories but do form part of the OTA, such as lands or marine areas designated for conservation or for specific projects.
For more information about Post-1975 Treaties, visit http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100030583/1100100030584 .
The Post-1975 Treaties dataset is part of the Treaties and Aboriginal Agreements geospatial information.
The Treaties and Aboriginal Agreements geospatial information represent the geographic boundaries of the solemn agreements between the Crown and the Aboriginal people, and set out promises, obligations and benefits for both parties. The following datasets are also available:
1) The Pre-1975 Treaties (Historic Treaties) dataset represents the large areas of land that the First Nations gave up to the Crown in exchange for such things as reserve lands, benefits or promises.
2) The Aboriginal Agreements dataset represents established consultation processes and the Aboriginal groups that govern their internal affairs and assume greater responsibility and control over the decision making that affects their communities.
Data-sharing agreements with the INAC’s internal groups (Negotiations Central and Implementation branch) as well as the Department of Natural Resources Canada are in place to ensure that any update to the attributes data or geography is reflected in the Treaties and Aboriginal Agreements geospatial information.
This dataset is Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) primary source for Post-1975 Treaties geographic boundaries on maps.
This dataset can also be viewed in the Aboriginal and Treaty Rights Information System (ATRIS). This web-based system provides access to information to inform governments, industry and other interested parties in determining their consultation obligations and in carrying out their consultation research.
For more information, visit http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100014686/1100100014687.
- Publisher - Current Organization Name: Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
- Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada
|Resource Name||Resource Type||Format||Language||Links|
|Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties)||Web Service||WMS||English||Access|
|Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties)||Web Service||WMS||French||Access|
|Web Feature Service (WFS)||Web Service||WFS||
|Pre-packaged FGDB file||Dataset||FGDB/GDB||
|Pre-packaged SHP file||Dataset||SHP||
|Pre-packaged CSV file||Dataset||CSV||
|Data Dictionary - Web Services (in French)||Guide||CSV||French||Access|
|Data Dictionary - Web Services (in English)||Guide||CSV||English||Access|
|Data Dictionary - FGDB (in French)||Guide||CSV||French||Access|
|Data Dictionary - FGDB (in English)||Guide||CSV||English||Access|
|Data Dictionary - SHP (in French)||Guide||CSV||French||Access|
|Data Dictionary - SHP (in English)||Guide||CSV||English||Access|
|Data Dictionary - CSV (in French)||Guide||CSV||French||Access|
|Data Dictionary - CSV (in English)||Guide||CSV||English||Access|
|Metadata - XML||Guide||XML||
|Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties)||Web Service||ESRI REST||French||Access|
|Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties)||Web Service||ESRI REST||English||Access|
|Generate KML File||Dataset||KML||
|Post-1975 Treaties (Modern Treaties)|
Delivery Point: Terrasses de la Chaudière, 10 Wellington, North Tower
Administrative Area: Quebec
Postal Code: K1A 0H4
Electronic Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org