The Modern treaties (formerly known as the Post-1975 treaties) dataset contains geographic boundaries as well as basic attribute data representing signed agreements that were negotiated between Indigenous groups, the Government of Canada, and provincial and territorial governments after 1975. These boundaries represent the areas of Canada where Indigenous land rights and title have not been addressed by treaty or through other legal means. These boundaries represent the final result of a negotiated First Nation’s claimed area. These boundaries are usually not surveyed but help to delineate the geographic extent of the rights of Indigenous beneficiaries defined within the agreement. The Modern treaties dataset includes:
1) Overall Treaty Area (OTA) which is the broad area to which the agreement applies, often composed of the sum of the specific geographies defined within the treaty. 2) Treaty Settlement Lands that is wholly Indigenous-owned and forms part of the “land and cash” settlements that are integral to the treaty. This category belongs to the Department of Natural Resources Canada and can be found on the Open data website as ‘‘Aboriginal Lands’’ classified as ‘‘Land Claim’’. 3) Treaty-Specified Rights Areas which category pertains to areas (lands or waters) where specific rights, activities or responsibilities apply pursuant to the treaty. 4) Other Treaty-related Geography is the catch-all category for any remaining geographies that do not fit within the aforementioned categories but do form part of the OTA, such as lands or marine areas designated for conservation or for specific projects.
For more information about Modern treaties, visit https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1100100028574/1529354437231#chp4.
The Modern treaties dataset is one of multiple datasets representing treaties and agreements between the Crown and Indigenous peoples. The Crown-Indigenous treaties and agreements geospatial datasets represent the geographic boundaries of the solemn agreements between the Crown and Indigenous peoples that set out promises, obligations and benefits for parties. The following datasets are also available:
1) The Historic treaties (formerly known as the Pre-1975 treaties) dataset, which represents most signed treaties that were negotiated between Indigenous peoples and the Crown between 1725 and 1929.
2) The Indigenous agreements dataset, which represents established protocols in place for consultation processes, self-government agreements, and other signed agreements between Indigenous groups and the Crown which do not fall into the aforementioned categories.
The Modern treaties dataset is Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC) and Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)’s primary source for Modern treaties geographic boundaries on maps.
This dataset can also be viewed in the Aboriginal and Treaty Rights Information System (ATRIS). This web-based system provides access to information to inform governments, industry and other interested parties in determining their consultation obligations and in carrying out their consultation research.
For more information, visit https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1100100014686/1609421785838.
- Publisher - Current Organization Name: Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
- Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada
Data and Resources
Modern TreatiesWMSEnglish web_service WMS
Generate KML fileKMLEnglish dataset KML
Generate KML fileKMLFrench dataset KML
Web Feature Service (WFS)WFSEnglish web_service WFS
Web Feature Service (WFS)WFSFrench web_service WFS
Modern TreatiesWMSFrench web_service WMS
Pre-packaged FGDB fileFGDB/GDBEnglish French dataset FGDB/GDB
Pre-packaged SHP fileSHPEnglish French dataset SHP
Pre-packaged CSV fileCSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Data Dictionary - Web Services (in French)CSVFrench guide CSV
Data Dictionary - Web Services (in English)CSVEnglish guide CSV
Data Dictionary - FGDB (in French)CSVFrench guide CSV
Data Dictionary - FGDB (in English)CSVEnglish guide CSV
Data Dictionary - SHP (in French)CSVFrench guide CSV
Data Dictionary - SHP (in English)CSVEnglish guide CSV
Data Dictionary - CSV (in French)CSVFrench guide CSV
Data Dictionary - CSV (in English)CSVEnglish guide CSV
Modern TreatiesESRI RESTFrench web_service ESRI REST
Modern TreatiesESRI RESTEnglish web_service ESRI REST
Delivery Point: Terrasses de la Chaudière, 10 Wellington, North Tower
Administrative Area: Quebec
Postal Code: K1A 0H4
Electronic Mail Address: email@example.com