Canadian Hydrographic Service Non-Navigational (NONNA) Bathymetric Data
CHS NONNA data has been updated: September 5, 2023
The Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS) offers a complete inventory of bathymetric data free to the general public for non-navigational use called 'CHS NONNA' for the 'NON-NAvigational' purpose of the data. The product is available in a spatial resolution of 10 metres or 100 metres.
To directly access the CHS NONNA Data Portal please follow this link - https://data.chs-shc.ca/login
(Note: The data portal is NOT compatible with Internet Explorer browser).
NEW NONNA Packages
A NONNA Package is a ZIP file containing a collection of NONNAP datasets to ease the download of large amounts of high resolution data. Packages are currently available for data sources of approximately 10 metre resolution.
NEW CHS NONNA products OGC Services
Please note that the CHS NONNA products OGC Web Map Service (WMS) and Web Coverage Service (WMS) URL has changed.
The Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS) NONNA Bathymetric Data products are for NON-NAVIGATIONAL USE ONLY. Please see the CHS NON-NAVIGATIONAL BATHYMETRIC DATA LICENCE AGREEMENT in the resources section below for further terms and conditions governing the use of this data.
Under the Navigation Safety Regulations, 2020, made pursuant to the Canada Shipping Act (2001), notwithstanding exceptions, vessels navigating in Canadian waters must carry and use nautical charts and related publications issued by, or on the authority of the CHS.
To obtain official navigational products released by the CHS, please see: www.charts.gc.ca
For bathymetry outside of Canada’s jurisdiction, please consult the appropriate Hydrographic Office.
----- PRODUCT DESCRIPTION -----
The CHS NONNA-10 NONNA-100 and NONNA Package Bathymetric Data products represent a consolidation of digital bathymetric sources managed by the CHS.
The « NONNA » refers to NON-NAvigational.
The « 10 » or « 100 » references the approximate resolution (in metres) of the data.
The «P10 » refers to the Packages and approximate resolution (in metres) of the data.
The CHS NONNA-10 individual product coverage (resolution) is as follows:
• South of 68°N the products = 0.1° latitude X 0.1° longitude (0.0001 degrees) • 68°N-80°N the products = 0.1° latitude X 0.2° longitude (0.0002 degrees) • 80°N and north the products = 0.1° latitude X 0.4° longitude (0.0004 degrees)
The CHS NONNA-100 individual product coverage (resolution) is as follows:
• South of 68°N the products = 1° latitude X 1° longitude (0.001 degrees) • 68°N-80°N the products = 1° latitude X 2° longitude (0.002 degrees) • 80°N and north the products = 1° latitude X 4° longitude (0.004 degrees)
The CHS NONNA-P10 Packages are ZIP files that contain product coverage (resolution) defined as:
• South of 68°N the products = 1° latitude X 1° longitude (0.0001 degrees) • 68°N-80°N the products = 1° latitude X 2° longitude (0.0002 degrees) • 80°N and north the products = 1° latitude X 4° longitude (0.0004 degrees)
----- DATUM -----
All CHS NONNA data sources are horizontally referenced to the World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84) ESPG:4326 and vertically referenced to Chart Datum (CD), a tidal or water level datum that is locally derived and, of which, the depth of water should seldom fall below. For more information on vertical references visit:
----- DATA PRESENTATION -----
CHS NONNA products adhere to the following naming convention: NONNAXXX_SouthwestCorner Example: NONNAP10_4360N07940W
• NONNAP10 = the product NONNAP10 • 4360N07940W = the southwest corner of the NONNA cell.
These products are available to view, query and download via the CHS NONNA Data Portal. The following formats are available for download:
• 32-bit GeoTIFF
• ASCII++ (XYZ)
These formats can be opened using various GIS applications.
Alternatively, the CHS NONNA products can be accessed via Web Map Service (WMS), Web Coverage Service (WCS) or Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) links:
Gaps in the data may be visible where modern surveys have not yet been conducted, the data is not updated to Chart Datum (CD) or where legacy data has not yet been digitized. In addition, there may be data sources removed from the Data Portal for further processing in the CHS’ Bathymetric Database, and will not be available until such work is complete.
Data sources included in the NONNA products may not have been subjected to the same level of quality assurance as those in official navigational products.
New users of the CHS NONNA Data Portal are encouraged to fully review the 'CHS NONNA Data Portal Guidance Document' (PDF) which is available below in the RESOURCES section of this page.
- Publisher - Current Organization Name: Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada
Data and Resources
1. CHS NONNA Data PortalHTMLEnglish French application HTML
2. (a) - CHS NONNA Data Portal Guidance DocumentPDFEnglish guide PDF
2. (b) - CHS NONNA Data Portal Guidance DocumentPDFFrench guide PDF
3. (a) - CHS NONNA Bathymetric DataWCSEnglish French web_service WCS
3. (b) - CHS NONNA Bathymetric DataWMTSEnglish French web_service WMTS
3. (c) - CHS NONNA Bathymetric DataWMSEnglish French web_service WMS
4. (a) - CHS NONNA Frequently Asked QuestionsPDFEnglish guide PDF
4. (b) - CHS NONNA Frequently Asked QuestionsPDFFrench guide PDF
5. CHS Non-navigational Bathymetric Data Licence AgreementPDFEnglish French guide PDF
6. CHS NONNA 10 IndexSHPEnglish French dataset SHP
7. CHS NONNA 100 IndexSHPEnglish French dataset SHP
8. CHS NONNA Packages IndexSHPEnglish French dataset SHP
CHS NONNA Bathymetric DataWMSEnglish web_service WMS
CHS NONNA Bathymetric DataWMSFrench web_service WMS
|Canadian Hydrographic Service Non-Navigational (NONNA) Bathymetric Data|
Electronic Mail Address: email@example.com