CanadaBuys tender notices
This dataset contains information on Government of Canada tender information published according to the Financial Administration Act. It includes data for all Schedule I, Schedule II and Schedule III departments, agencies, Crown corporations, and other entities (unless specifically exempt) who must comply with the Government of Canada trade agreement obligations. CanadaBuys is the authoritative source of this information. Visit the How procurement works page on the CanadaBuys website to learn more.
All data files in this collection share a common column structure, and the procurement category field (labelled as “procurementCategory-categorieApprovisionnement”) can be used to filter by the following four major categories of tenders:
- Tenders for construction, which will have a value of “CNST”
- Tenders for goods, which will have a value of “GD”
- Tenders for services, which will have a value of “SRV”
- Tenders for services related to goods, which will have a value of “SRVTGD”
A tender may be associated with one or more of the above procurement categories.
Note: Some records contain long tender description values that may cause issues when viewed in certain spreadsheet programs, such as Microsoft Excel. When the information doesn’t fit within the cell’s character limit, the program will insert extra rows that don’t conform to the expected column formatting. (Though, all other records will still be displayed properly, in their own rows.) To quickly remove the “spill-over data” caused by this display error in Excel, select the publication date field (labelled as “publicationDate-datePublication”), then click the Filter button on the Data menu ribbon. You can then use the filter pull-down list to remove any blank or non-date values from this field, which will hide the rows that only contain “spill-over” description information.
The following list describes the resources associated with this CanadaBuys tender notices dataset. Additional information on Government of Canada tenders can also be found on the Tender notices tab of the CanadaBuys Tender opportunities page.
(1) CanadaBuys data dictionary: This XML file offers descriptions of each data field in the tender notices files linked below, as well as other procurement-related datasets CanadaBuys produces. Use this as a guide for understanding the data elements in these files. This dictionary is updated as needed to reflect changes to the data elements.
(2) New tender notices: This file contains up to date information on all new tender notices that are published to CanadaBuys throughout a given day. The file is updated every two hours, from 6:15 am until 10:15 pm (UTC-0500) to include new tenders as they are published. All tenders in this file will have a publication date matching the current day (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”), or the day prior for systems that feed into this file on a nightly basis.
(3) Open tender notices: This file contains up to date information on all tender notices that are open for bidding on CanadaBuys, including any amendments made to these tender notices during their lifecycles. The file is refreshed each morning, between 7:00 am and 8:30 am (UTC-0500) to include newly published open tenders. All tenders in this file will have a status of open (displayed in the field labelled “tenderStatus-tenderStatut-eng”).
(4) All CanadaBuys tender notices, 2022-08-08 onwards: This file contains up to date information on all tender notices published through CanadaBuys. This includes any tender notices that were open for bids on or after August 8, 2022, when CanadaBuys launched as the system of record for all Tender Notices for the Government of Canada. This file includes any amendments made to these tender notices during their lifecycles. It is refreshed each morning, between 7:00 am and 8:30 am (UTC-0500) to include any updates or amendments, as needed. Tender notices in this file can have any publication date on or after August 8, 2022 (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”), and can have a status of open, cancelled or expired (displayed in the field labelled “tenderStatus-tenderStatut-eng”).
(5) Legacy tender notices, 2009 to 2022-08 (prior to CanadaBuys): This file contains details of the tender notices that were launched prior to the implementation of CanadaBuys, which became the system of record for all tender notices for the Government of Canada on August 8, 2022. This datafile is refreshed monthly. The over 70,000 tenders in this file have publication dates from August 5, 2022 and before (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”) and have a status of cancelled or expired (displayed in the field labelled “tenderStatus-tenderStatut-eng”).
Note: Procurement data was structured differently in the legacy applications previously used to administer Government of Canada tender notices. Efforts have been made to manipulate these historical records into the structure used by the CanadaBuys data files, to make them easier to analyse and compare with new records. This process is not perfect since simple one-to-one mappings can’t be made in many cases. You can access these historical records in their original format as part of the archived copy of the original tender notices dataset. You can also refer to the supporting documentation for understanding the new CanadaBuys tender and award notices datasets.
(6) Tender notices, YYYY-YYYY: These files contain information on all tender notices published in the specified fiscal year that are no longer open to bidding. The current fiscal year's file is refreshed each morning, between 7:00 am and 8:30 am (UTC-0500) to include any updates or amendments, as needed. The files associated with past fiscal years are refreshed monthly. Tender notices in these files can have any publication date between April 1 of a given year and March 31 of the subsequent year (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”) and can have a status of cancelled or expired (displayed in the field labelled “tenderStatus-tenderStatut-eng”). New records are added to these files once related tenders reach their close date, or are cancelled.
Note: New tender notice data files will be added on April 1 for each fiscal year.
- Publisher - Current Organization Name: Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Publisher - Organization Name at Publication: Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada
Data and Resources
Supporting Documentation (English)HTMLEnglish guide HTML
Supporting Documentation (French)HTMLFrench guide HTML
CanadaBuys data dictionaryXMLEnglish French guide XML
New tender noticesCSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Open tender noticesCSVEnglish French dataset CSV
All CanadaBuys tender notices, 2022-08-08 onwardsCSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Legacy tender notices, 2009 to 2022-08 (prior to CanadaBuys)CSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Tender notices, 2022-2023CSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Tender notices, 2023-2024CSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Geographic Region Name:
- British Columbia