CanadaBuys award notices
This dataset contains information on all Government of Canada award notices published according to the Financial Administration Act. It includes data for all Schedule I, Schedule II and Schedule III departments, agencies, Crown corporations, and other entities (unless specifically exempt) who must comply with the Government of Canada trade agreement obligations. CanadaBuys is the authoritative source of this information. Visit the How procurement works page on CanadaBuys to learn more.
All data files in this collection share a common column structure, and the procurement category field (labelled as “procurementCategory-categorieApprovisionnement”) can be used to filter by the following four major categories of awards:
- Awards for construction, which will have a value of “CNST”
- Awards for goods, which will have a value of “GD”
- Awards for services, which will have a value of “SRV”
- Awards for services related to goods, which will have a value of “SRVTGD”
Some award notices may be associated with one or more of the above procurement categories.
Note: Some records contain long award description values that may cause issues when viewed in certain spreadsheet programs, such as Microsoft Excel. When the information doesn’t fit within the cell’s character limit, the program will insert extra rows that don’t conform to the expected column formatting. (Though, all other records will still be displayed properly, in their own rows.) To quickly remove the “spill-over data” caused by this display error in Excel, select the publication date field (labelled as “publicationDate-datePublication”), then click the Filter button on the Data menu ribbon. You can then use the filter pull-down list to remove any blank or non-date values from this field, which will hide the rows that only contain “spill-over” description information.
The following list describes the resources associated with this CanadaBuys award notices dataset. Additional information on Government of Canada award notices can be found on the Award notices tab of the CanadaBuys Tender opportunities page.
(1) CanadaBuys data dictionary: This XML file offers descriptions of each data field in the award notices files linked below, as well as other procurement-related datasets CanadaBuys produces. Use this as a guide for understanding the data elements in these files. This dictionary is updated as needed to reflect changes to the data elements.
(2) All CanadaBuys award notices, 2022-08-08 onward: This file contains up to date information on all award notices published on CanadaBuys. This includes any award notices that were published on or after August 8, 2022, when CanadaBuys became the system of record for all tender and award notices for the Government of Canada. This file includes any amendments made to these award notices during their lifecycles. It is refreshed each morning, between 7:00 am and 8:30 am (UTC-0500) to include any updates or amendments, as needed. Award notices in this file can have any publication date on or after August 8, 2022 (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”), and can have a status of active, cancelled or expired (displayed in the field labelled “awardStatus-attributionStatut-eng”).
(3) Legacy award notices, 2012 to 2022-08 (prior to CanadaBuys): This file contains details of the award notices published prior to the implementation of CanadaBuys, which became the system of record for all tender and award notices for the Government of Canada on August 8, 2022. This datafile is refreshed monthly. The over 100,000 awards in this file have publication dates from August 6, 2022 and prior (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”), and have a status of active, cancelled or expired (displayed included in the field labelled “awardStatus-attributionStatut-eng”).
Note: Procurement data was structured differently in the legacy applications previously used to administer Government of Canada contracts. Efforts have been made to manipulate these historical records into the structure used by the CanadaBuys data files, to make them easier to analyse and compare with new records. This process is not perfect since simple one-to-one mappings can’t be made in many cases. You can access these historical records in their original format as part of the archived copy of the original tender notices dataset, which contained awards-related data files. You can also refer to the supporting documentation for understanding the new CanadaBuys tender and award notices datasets.
(4) Award notices, YYYY-YYYY: These files contain information on all contracts awarded in the specified fiscal year. The current fiscal year's file is refreshed each morning, between 7:00 am and 8:30 am (UTC-0500) to include any updates or amendments, as needed. The files associated with past fiscal years are updated monthly. Awards in these files can have any publication date between April 1 of a given year and March 31 of the subsequent year (displayed in the field labelled “publicationDate-datePublication”) and can have an award status of active, cancelled or expired (displayed in the field labelled “awardStatus-attributionStatut-eng”).
Note: New award notice data files will be added on April 1 for each fiscal year.
- Publisher - Current Organization Name: Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Publisher - Organization Name at Publication: Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada
Data and Resources
Supporting Documentation (English)HTMLEnglish guide HTML
Supporting Documentation (French)HTMLFrench guide HTML
CanadaBuys data dictionaryXMLEnglish French guide XML
All CanadaBuys award notices, 2022-08-08 onwardsCSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Legacy award notices, 2012 to 2022-08 (prior to CanadaBuys)CSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Award notices, 2022-2023CSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Award notices, 2023-2024CSVEnglish French dataset CSV
Geographic Region Name:
- British Columbia